Thursday 9 July 2009

Rosicky optimistic over future


Tomas Rosicky hopes to be back in action for Arsenal during the opening weeks of the new campaign.

The Czech midfielder has endured a difficult spell out of the game since he last played for the Gunners almost 18 months ago, against Newcastle in the FA Cup in January 2008.

A combination of niggling injuries in his hamstring and knee tendons, which proved difficult to isolate and treat with surgery, restricted Rosicky's rehabilitation programme.

The 28-year-old winger, signed from Borussia Dortmund in a £6.8million deal three years ago, resumed light training in May and has now rejoined the rest of the Arsenal first-team group as they prepare for the new campaign.

Speaking to Czech newspaper Sport, Rosicky said: 'I think I will be back in the autumn.

'According to my fitness coach Tony Colbert I could have been playing at the end of the [last] season as he thought my fitness was okay.

'I think it was obvious from the training that I was ready to play, if not for 90 minutes.

'But the club decided not to play me. They saw that I was okay, but maybe they just did not want to take the gamble.

'Until I play in a league match I will not be able to tell what my chances are, but when it comes to fitness alone I am in better shape than when I came to Arsenal.'

Rosicky is set to battle it out with Samir Nasri and Theo Walcott for a place on the Arsenal flank. The Czech midfielder added: 'I am missing the competition.

'Playing alongside Cesc Fabregas and Theo Walcott makes you feel comfortable and I think that I will quickly forget that I have been out for a while.

'Now that I have recovered, I am a new option for the manager.

'We have a strong team capable of moving mountains in all competitions.'

Source: Metro.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment